This is what we can call some bad ass blogging... Not bad ass
as in good, but BAD!
One reason is that I don’t have the internet access that I
used to, another one is that there has been a lot going on in my life.
I found a place to live that time. I moved in to a house with
a Malawian lady, she had a house with her husband, with a spare bedroom. The
husband was traveling a lot so she didn’t want to live alone all the time. The
house was OK, just a normal Malawian house, in a normal Malawian neighborhood,
and it was even walking distance to work. The bad part was that it didn’t have
any hot water there, or a shower, so every time I wanted to take a bath, I had
to boil a lot of water before taking my bath. And I can't even remember the
last time I took a BATH, not a shower. But it was OK. Since I didn’t have much
to do during the evenings, after knocking off work late, I could as well spend
it preparing for my evening bath! Work was as usual, but I'll get back to that
later in this blog.
Mike came back to Malawi! More than a month earlier than
expected! His reasons are personal and maybe not that nice, but I was very
happy, I AM very happy he came back earlier! So after I stayed at Jacintas
house for a month, Mike and I went to find a place of our own. And we did. Its
a guesthouse on some peoples plot, they have built some houses that they are
renting out. And still in walking distance to work! The house is so so, not too
bad, not too good, even though its completely new, there is a lot missing, and
we can see it has been done some cheap labor here... But its already a home for
us, and the rent is not bad! We are still lacking furniture though, no where to
sit in the living room, but the floor. But it will work out eventually!
I have been sick for some time, had to be off work for almost
two weeks, and when I came back things were even worse than before there.
These people and the place was going on my nerves now. It
totally wore me out, both mentally and physically. Wednesday last week I was
alone at work, a long elective operation list, an asshole of a surgeon (I think
I have mentioned him before) and he didn’t even consider once to cancel his
list, for the reason that I was the only nurse there. I don’t know how many
times I asked him to give me some time to rest, but he didn’t want to
sympathize with me. At the end of the
day, after 5pm of course (night staff always come in late), I totally lost it!
This German/Norwegian nurse had come by to see me and deliver some equipment
earlier that day, and she was very shocked that I was alone! And she said that
this was nothing I had to tolerate, the way they have treated me for some time
now, the fact that I am there for free, they take so much advantage of me,
mistreat me, she said she had never stayed there! I think she just opened my
eyes there and then, and I found out that I have even thought that thought my
self, not putting up with these things, but I guess I felt it as a failure if I
was to quit, but that day all my stress and frustration for the last months
came out, and I actually quit my job there. There was a lot of anger and tear
that came out at that point, and for people there it is not normal to just cry
like that. But I couldn’t care less.
Its not easy for me to tell these things, I guess I still
feel it as a failure, but I have to be honest. To both my family and friends,
as to my donors, the once that have helped me financially.
I started looking for other places to volunteer, but after
only two days they called me, begging me to come back. I felt really bad about
leaving them, cause I know how bad they need the help, but I couldn’t let them
destroy me. I came here to Malawi to work WITH people that need it, not to work
FOR them. The team spirit that is in that theatre is so terrible, if they see
that I work, they just find it OK for them to leave, or even not to show up.
So I told them, again, how I felt and how they have treated
me, and today I want back to have a meeting with some of the nurses there and
two of the Matrons. They were still very humble, apologizing a lot, and we
actually agreed on different things and that I will start work there again. I
will no longer be the nurse-in-charge, no longer be writing the duty roster,
and I will not be on the roster. But I will write myself up for the days where
I see that they need me. And I think this will be a good solution. We are even
having a meeting on Monday morning with all the nurses in theatre about the
team spirit and how to work better TOGETHER. I really hope things will work out
good for us all.
On the 22nd of April Tina and Erlend from Haraldsplass
came to visit. They went on safari in Zambia, and then we went to the lake one
weekend. They also came to work with me for a few days, but unfortunately this
was all in my stressed and job-quitting period. But I hope they enjoyed seeing
Malawi and the way I live here, I really appreciated the visit! Tina is now
climbing Mount Kilimanjaro! You go girl!
I hope it won't be over a month till the next time I blog, I
hope you can all forgive me!
You go girl,,
ReplyDeleteI think you are climbing a mounten you to...
Ikke se på det som nederlag, både sponsorer og andre vil definitivt se det fra ditt synspunkt. Vi er godt klar over hvorfor du er der for å jobbe og ser at innsatsen ble utnyttet. Veldig tøft at du sa ifra.
ReplyDeleteGi en lyd kordan det går med hus, digg å få sitt eget!
:)
ikke tenk på det:) du er den tøffeste jeg vet!!!!
ReplyDeletestor klem fra Helene
Mooonge kyss klapp og klemmer frå mej!!!!! Du e den beste! Marthe
ReplyDelete