Sunday, February 12, 2012

12/2/12 - I'm coming home...

My grandma and me in October 2006
On Thursday I got the terrible message that my grandma home in Norway is seriously ill, admitted in the hospital. So on Friday, after getting some more information about her condition, I decided to go home. Europeiske Insurance helped me a lot, they were wonderful and efficient, and they are paying for my ticket. I got a ticket for Saturday evening, and are supposed to arrive in Bergen tonight at 10.40pm. So I’m here in Amsterdam now, have some hours to spend, and its not my favorite hobby, to hang out in airports. And I just feel like I want to get home immediately, why am I here, doing nothing? But of course I understand, I just feel so hopeless sitting here.

The last days my grandmas condition has varied a lot, one period it seems like shes not going to survive, and the next she is sitting there, talking, drinking, eating, so nobody knows what will happen. But the doctors didn’t seem too optimistic. She has been strong before, but she is now 89 years old, and only time will tell. I both can't wait to see her, and also I don’t want to see her the way she is sick now.

Because I’m working in a hospital in Malawi, I have to take a MRSA test, and wait for the results before I can go in to the hospital. It is a bacteria that is quite harmless, to healthy people, but if a sick or old person gets the bacteria and infection, it can be very serious. So they will not allow me to enter the hospital without a negative test. So we will see when I can get that done. I will probably have to wait till tomorrow morning, I will probably go to Haraldsplass and do it. Hopefully they can do it fast fast!



I don’t know for how long I will stay home now, maybe two weeks, I just have to see what happens.

1 comment: