Thursday, December 1, 2011

1/12/11 - WOW!

I came to work this morning finding out that there was only me and one other nurse at work. Of course there are patient attendants and ward attendants, but they don’t do anything in theatre but to clean and pack the sets for surgeries and sterilize them. So the two of us, working in two theaters, it means it doesn’t work out very well on our behalf. So today, I scrubbed in on five surgeries, standing up all day, taking my lunch in five minutes at 2pm, and knocking off at 5pm. I am exhausted! And I was also supposed to make orders for surgical stuff (witch I managed before 8am) and write the duty roaster for next week (witch I didn’t manage, cause I have never done it before, and there was NO time). So at 10am the Matron came to assist us, and she stayed in theatre with me, the big one that I had to work in, with all the major and big surgeries, cause the other nurse was not so experienced. And what am I? Five weeks (not even that) with theatre experience! And another challenge was that we didn’t have enough sterilized sets when we started off this morning, so I also had to pack them for the different surgeries, one for hysterectomy, one for cesarean section, one for laparostomy and so on and so forth. And never have done that, it took time! But thankfully there where lists of all the different things that is supposed to be in each set (not that I know the name of all the things yet) and I had some students with me that could help. I did my best and that’s what counts! If I hadn’t done it, it wouldn’t have been done at that time.



But the best thing about this is that I love it! I really enjoy the work, all of it, so I am very thankful for that! All the people are so nice and funny, and the surgeons are good and nice! We have a lot of fun there, telling jokes, making fun of each other, it is just a good vibration all over! So even though my feet and back is killing me (in an exhausted, not painful way), I am looking forward to going to work tomorrow! Imagine! I would never have guessed it would be so nice! I am so thankful that they trusted me and gave me this opportunity!



So now, a well deserved big glass of wine after a cold shower (not voluntary, there was no other option, it hasn’t been for the last two weeks) out side in my “wintergarden” is just what a girl needs!

But I have to admit I am looking forward to the weekend and days off work. But then so ready for Monday and new challenges!

2 comments:

  1. Jeg sitter nå her og heier på deg Linken, og til og med jeg blir anpusten av dagene dine... og du, jeg kunne lært deg noe om pakking av op.utstyr,,, "ikke brenn lyset" også videre, sant? Kanskje det er dette du skal bli når du blir stor,,,, keep up the good work baby.. kleeeem

    ReplyDelete
  2. jer er imponert av deg :) hyggelig å høre hvordan det går med deg

    ReplyDelete