Two ovaries removed from a very sick lady...
I have had a few days in Ethel Mutharika Maternity Theatre now. I started there on Thursday, so three days to be exactly. The one in charge for now, Jessie Banda, is really nice and a good nurse. So she teaches me whatever I need. The challenges I have seen so far is that this is a much more busy theatre than the main theatre in the hospital. They have elective cases every day, but there is also so many more emergencies. The first two days I was mostly observing the way they do theatre nursing here and being a circulating nurse, but today I scrubbed in. It was an emergency case, a young girl full term pregnant, but the baby was stillborn and the uterus was ruptured. So she had bled a lot, and even more during surgery. And of course there was no blood for her in the blood bank, but we had to operate anyway. So they did a total abdominal hysterectomy, and it took about two hours. When they removed the baby, they just threw it in the bin. It was quite brutal, and not a nice thing to see. But I didn’t manage to get too involved, I had more than enough to think about there, being the scrub nurse. But I did good, even the surgeon was impressed, so I am happy! It is just the fact of getting used to how the different surgeons work, and the names of all the equipment, and what kind of sutures they use for what...
And the in-charge bit doesn’t seem too bad, for now at least. Hopefully things will work out fine, and people are very helpful and nice to me.
I'll keep you updated on that part.
It seems like the rainy season has started here now, there has been raining since Thursday or Friday, and its a bit chilly. So no need to use the pool when I get home from work, it would actually be too cold!
Last weekend I went to Nkhoma to meet friends, just stayed for one night, and on Saturday Gomez and Bertha came back with me to town, we where going out, and they would stay at my house. And all Sunday they where in the pool! I think they had a lot of fun.
And this weekend I had Jessi and Ute visiting, from Nkhoma. That was very nice, they really enjoyed the pool and the nice house (as everyone does), and I think especially the fast internet! Updates where downloaded, emails checked, and Skype was being used!
On Sunday I went to the hairdresser, there is a salon with a Zimbabwean that has specialized on “white” hair. And he was good, so now my hair style is nice and fresh again! I didn’t do anything special, just shorter then what it has been. But it was nice, and it all ended in a very nice scalp massage! And that for 2000MK. About 1/10 of what I pay at home, for the same thing!
I am alone in the house these days, Tone is in Addis Ababa on a FK preparation course, witch she should had attended before she left from Norway, but there was no time then. So now after almost three months here, she is going to be prepared for staying in a developing country... Understand it if you can! And when Tone is there, Frida is staying at Nina and Vidars house, cause they have two kids that goes to the same school. So all alone, but I don’t feel unsafe, it is actually quite nice. I am used to having my house to my self, and I can enjoy my own company!
Tomorrow I’m going to invest in a Trojan “stepper”? I would like to get a treadmill, but they are too expensive, so a “stepper” will have to do. And I can sell it when I leave, so its not too bad money-wise. I still keep up the good work of walking to and from work, but now that rainy season is coming, I don’t think it will be so nice. Cause when it rains it RAINS!!! Norway rain and I guess also “Berit” can go to bed, they have nothing to say here. That's baby rain! And with the rains comes more insects, especially these flying ants, when the dark comes, if it has rained during the day, they are everywhere! They are not dangerous or biting, only irritating, cause they are actually everywhere! I think Maria can recall from last year, and all others that has been here, and they are a delicacy, they take their wings off and fry them. Yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment