Monday, January 2, 2012

2/1/12 - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Christmas and New Year has past, with no big problems. It has been quite OK, even had a tiny bit of Christmas feeling on the 24th (that’s the day we celebrate in Norway). Pinnekjøtt was prepared (our traditional Christmas meal), and that smell is magic! It was even emotional! Fridas dad had arrived on the 22nd, and he had brought some meat for us! And Toro kålrabistappe, better than nothing.
So on that morning, we watched “Tre nøtter til Askepott”, a movie that runs on TV every Christmas eve morning, I almost cried when it was starting! Also a good contribution to my Christmas feeling! We made a Christmas tree out of two palm leaves we found on a palm tree in our garden, and decorated it with whatever we had and could make. Its was quite nice in the end. And then we had something we could place the presents under.
"The family" at the dinnertable



Christmas day we were invited to Nina and Vidars house, for a late lunch, a lot of Norwegians were invited, and it was a nice party. Good food, good drinks and good people.



The following days where lazy. We didn’t do much, and the weather was not nice. Its been raining a lot the last two weeks. Frida, Tone and Torben (the dad) went to Zambia on safari, from Monday to Thursday. They had a great time there, I know the feeling, I was there myself in March when my mom, brother and Renathe visited me.



I was working for only two days last week, we are in a holiday time at work, so we don’t fully staff the theatre. But the days at work was busy, even though we didn’t have full operating lists, mostly emergencies.

I’m also off today, but going to work tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. This week is also a holiday here.



New years eve was good, I went out with Mikes sister and some other friends. We went to different clubs, dancing all night up til 6am! So New Years day was a bit lazy. Slept most of the day, up till 3pm, went out to get some junk food, and even slept early.



The petrol and diesel situation in this country is a tragedy! It has been like this since I arrived, and even before that. There is hardly any gas to get anywhere, and this is because the country doesn’t have US dollars to buy it with. So most of the week there is absolutely nothing, and when it finally comes, the lines are so long you can only dream of getting any. People are actually lining up for days, just to get some gas. The ambulances are struggling, some times they cant go, cause there isn’t any petrol. And its not only gas, there is a lot of things missing here, like I have written before, about the medications and equipment, and the shops are missing a lot of things. But that is not as bad as the gas situation. Cause it effects everybody. They even raised the price from 270 MK pr liter, to 380 MK. So the prices for buses, taxis, and all public transport, is so much more expensive and people are even struggling to get around, to work, whatever. Its effecting everyone! I cant write why the problem is as it is, but I guess most of you can understand.



Update on the two Malawians who is in Finse:

The are freezing cold, struggling to adjust to eat dinner at 4pm, challenged with walking on snow, and even more skiing. But I think they will get used to it soon. I just miss them very much, especially Mike. I wonder how long they will manage to stay there. They are planning to stay, and have work permit for six months, but I think they want to come back earlier. We will see!



So a happy new year to all of you, see you soon!

(Tried putting some photos, but the network was too slow today...)

No comments:

Post a Comment